I’m currently finishing my PhD in Theoretical Particle Physics and I’m looking for a job in finance. A possibility I’m considering is to become a “quant” (I believe somebody already explained what this job is about in another post on this blog). Looking for more information about what I actually need to be hired in this sector I found an interesting thread in physicsforums.com: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376191
Most of the information is related to Wall Street jobs and then, maybe, it doesn’t apply to “quant” jobs in other places. However I think there you can find answers to some common questions like:
- What I need to know to become a quant? Programming languages, statistical tools, …?
- Do I need to be an expert in finance?
- What is a typical day at work?
- How much do you earn in the first years?
- How much competition is there in this field?
I hope you’ll find this thread useful! If you have some other interesting information, please publish a comment or a post on that.